University Of Lucknow or Lucknow University (LU) is a government owned Indian research university based in Lucknow. LU’s old campus is located at Badshah Nagar, University Road area of the city with a new campus at . Founded in 1867, LU is one of the oldest government owned institutions of Indian higher education.
LU’s alumni contains Former President Of India, governors of various Indian States and acclaimed poets, Scholars and lyricists.
It is affiliated to University Grants Commission; Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU); Association of Indian Universities (AIU); Distance Education Council (DEC). Other accreditations include National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC); National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE); Bar Council of India (BCI). It was affiliated to UGC in the year 1921. LU has improved its facilities over the years and has managed to provide a number of Online facilities like getting latest-notification, filling up of admission forms available to students Online.
The idea of establishing a university at Lucknow was conceived by Raja Sir Mohammad Ali Mohammad Khan, Khan Bahadur, K.C.I.E. of Mahmudabad. He contributed an article in then popular newspaper, The Pioneer, urging the foundation of a University at Lucknow. Later Sir Harcourt Butler was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of the United Provinces, and was also made Mohammad Khan’s well-known interest in all matters, specially in educational matters. The first step to bring the University into being was taken when a General Committee of educationists and persons interested in university education appointed for the purpose, met in conference at Government House, Lucknow, on 10 November 1919. At this meeting Sir Harcourt Butler, being the chairman of the committee, outlined the proposed scheme for the new university.
After an elaborate discussion, it was later decided that Lucknow University should be a unitary, teaching, and residential University as recommended by the Calcutta University Mission, 1919, and should consist of Faculties of Arts, including Oriental Studies, Science, Medicine, Law, etc. Six sub-committees were formed, five of them to consider questions connected with the University and one to consider the arrangements for providing Intermediate Education. These sub-committees met during the months of November and December, 1919, and January, 1920; and the reports of their meetings were laid before a second Conference of the General Committee at Lucknow on 26 January 1920; their proceedings were considered and discussed, and the reports of five of the sub-committees were, after certain amendments, confirmed. The question of incorporation of the Medical College in the University, however, was for the time being left open for further discussion. At the close of the Conference, Rs. one lakh each from the Raja of Mahmudabad and Jahangirabad were announced as the capital funds.
The resolutions of the first Conference together with the recommendations of the sub-committees as confirmed at the second Conference were laid before a meeting of the Allahabad University on 12 March 1920, and it was decided to appoint a sub-committee to consider them and report to the Senate.
The report of the sub-committee was considered at an extraordinary meeting of the Senate on 7 August 1920, at which the Chancellor presided, and the scheme was generally approved. In the meantime the difficulty of incorporating the Medical College in the University had been removed. During April 1920, Mr. C.F. de la Fosse, the then Director of Public Instruction of the United Provinces, drew up a draft Bill for the establishment of the Lucknow University which was introduced in the Legislative Council on 12 August 1920. It was then referred to a Select Committee which suggested a number of amendments, the most important being the liberalising of the constitution of the various University bodies and the inclusion of a Faculty of Commerce. This bill, in an amended form, was passed by the Council on 8 October 1920. The Lucknow University Act, No. V of 1920, received the assent of the Lieutenant-Governor on 1 November, and of the Governor-General on 25 November 1920.
The Court of the University was constituted in March, 1921 with the first meeting being held on 21 March 1921, at which the Chancellor presided. The other University authorities such as the Executive Council, the Academic Council, and Faculties came into existence in August and September, 1921. Other Committees and Boards, both statutory and otherwise, were constituted in course of time. On 17 July 1921, the University undertook teaching—both formal and informal. Teaching in the Faculties of Arts, Science, Commerce, and Law was being done in the Canning College and teaching in the Faculty of Medicine in the King George’s Medical College and Hospital. The Canning College was handed over to the University on 1 July 1922, although previous to this date the buildings, equipment, staff, etc., belonging to the Canning College had been ungrudgingly placed at the disposal of the University for the purposes of teaching and residence. The King George’s Medical College and the King George’s Hospital were transferred by the Government to the University on the 1 March 1921.
Eventually, The King George’s Medical College (Today’s King George’s Medical University), The Canning College,The Isabella Thoburn College provided structural as well as educational and administrational help for the establishment of the university