The Louvre or the Louvre Museum is the world’s largest museum and a historic monument in Paris, France. A central landmark of the city, it is located on the Right Bank of the Seine in the city’s 1st arrondissement (district or ward). Nearly 35,000 objects from prehistory to the 21st century are exhibited over an area of 60,600 square metres (652,300 square feet). The Louvre is the world’s second most visited museum after the Palace Museum in China, receiving more than 9.26 million visitors in 2014.
The Louvre Palace, which houses the museum, was begun as a fortress by Philip II in the 12th century, with remnants of this building still visible in the crypt. Whether this was the first building on that spot is not known; it is possible that Philip modified an existing tower. According to the authoritative Grand Larousse encyclopédique, the name derives from an association with wolf hunting den (via Latin: lupus, lower Empire: lupara). In the 7th century, St. Fare, an abbess in Meaux, left part of her “Villa called Luvra situated in the region of Paris” to a monastery. this territory probably did not correspond exactly to the modern site, however.
Visit the Louvre to discover, through collections of Western art from the Middle Ages to 1848 and many ancient civilizations, but also invites a different story. The grand palace that houses the museum which dates back to the late 12th century is a real lesson in architecture: from 1200 to 2011, the most innovative architects have succeeded to build and expand the Louvre. Long the seat of power, the royal residence which also housed the French heads of state until 1870 is also one of the great theaters which played the history of Paris and of France.
With the revolutionary days of July and October 1789, the authority is forced to relocate to Paris. All plans that direct France until 1870 resident at the Tuileries Louis XVI, reduced strength and increasingly prisoner until his removal August 10, 1792, the Revolutionary Committees (and most famous of them, led by Robespierre) from 1792 to 1794, Executive Board members and the Consulate cohabiting with the main revolutionary assemblies, installed in a room built on the site of the great theater of Louis XIV in 1793. the Tuileries then see Napoleon’s triumph I (which settles as first consul in 1800, before being crowned emperor in 1804) and then defeat after Waterloo in 1815. the brothers of Louis XVI, Louis XVIII and Charles X are resident in their return to power but must give way in 1830 with their cousin Louis-Philippe, brought to the throne by the July revolution.
many interior work is carried out to suit the tastes and modes of successive rulers. The most important contribution of this period remains the wing Marsan, built along the Rue de Rivoli by architects Percier and Fontaine and which closes the great Carrousel court, whose entrance is now marked by a small bow raised by the two architects tributes to military campaigns from 1805.