The Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University Kanpur, has been on the map of higher education for more than three decades. Established in 1966, it has not looked back, now it has 170 affiliated colleges in 15 districts. Spreading over a campus of 264 acres, the university is booming with academic activities. While the undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in all disciplines of Art, Science, Commerce, Law, Engineering and Medicine are offered in affiliated colleges and institutions, the residential wing of the campus includes faculties of Life Sciences, Business Management, Education and English. It also has a computer centre, a department of Adult and Continuing Education, Communication and a College Development Council. For catering to the needs of young engineering aspirants, the university has recently started an Institute of Engineering and Technology in the campus offering courses in four branches of engineering viz. Chemical, Computer Science and Information, Mechanical Engineering in the first instance. The university seeks to contribute to student an education through curriculum design, the development of new courses and the application of a forward looking and innovative teaching methodology. Kanpur, the industrial capital of U.P. and commonly known as the Manchester of Northern India has had a very eventful history. It has contributed much to the growth and economic development of the country. Equally memorable and inspiring is its role in the first Indian War of Independence. Click to More history
Facilities at Kanpur University
Spreading over 264 acres, the university is booming with academic activities. While the undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in Art, Science, Commerce, Law, Engineering and Medicine are offered in affiliated colleges and institutions, the residential wing of the campus includes faculties of Life Sciences, Business Management, Education and English. It has a computer centre, a department of Adult and Continuing Education, Communication and a College Development Council. For catering to the needs of young engineering aspirants, the university has an Institute of Engineering and Technology in the campus offering courses in engineering: Chemical, Computer Science and Information, Mechanical Engineering. There are separate hostel, academic and administrative blocks.
- Auditorium Hall
- Central Library
- Computer Center
- Guest House
- International Center
- Lecture Hall Complex
- Multipurpose Hall
The administration is the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor and the members of the executive council, the court and the academic council of the university. The Kulpati (Vice-Chancellor) is a whole-time salaried officer of the university and is appointed by the chancellor from amongst the names submitted to him by a committee constituted in accordance with the provisions above U.P. Universities Act 1973. The individual departments are under the direct supervision of their appointed directors, and each sub-department has its head.
Departments and institutes
- Deen Dayal Shodh Sansthan
- Department of Adult and Continuing Education and Extension
- Department of Education
- Department of English
- Department of Fine Arts and Painting
- Department of Library and Information Science
- Department of Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Department of Music
- Department of Physical Education
- Institute of Business Management
- Institute of Bioscience & Biotechnology
- Institute of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Institute of Life Sciences
- institute of Pharmacy
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology, Kanpur University ; formerly known as Institute of Engineering and Technology
- University Institute of Health Sciences
- Institute of Hotel Management
- University Placement Cell
Alumni of University
- Former Prime Minister of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee is an alumnus of D.A.V. College, Kanpur University.
- Harsh Vardhan (Delhi politician) attended Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial Medical College, Kanpur, where he graduated in 1979 with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.
- Renu Khator, chancellor of the University of Houston System and president of the University of Houston
- Dr. Onkar Singh, Vice Chancellor , Madan Mohan Malaviya University of Technology, Gorakhpur (U.P.)-INDIA*Madan Mohan Malaviya University of Technology, Gorakhpur
- Sarvagya Singh Katiyar former vice chancellor.
- Ram Shankar Katheria
- Vinay Katiyar
- Sone Lal Patel
- Sushila Saroj
- Premdas Katheria
- Bal Govind Dwivedi
- Bharat Jhunjhunwala
- Gopaldas Neeraj, Poet & lyricist.
- Uma Shankar Dikshit, politician
- Gopal Khanna
- Abhijeet Bhattacharya, singer
- Azeem Ahmad, Entrepreneur & Founder SOFTLABS Inc.
- Devendu Bajpai, CEO Remy Electricals India Ltd.
- Mukesh Chandra Rai, Vice President Finance, Reliance