Vegetables, Fruits and legumes all contains plant estrogens that blunt the negative effects of the estrogen on our bodies. This may be particularly helpful for women who get migraines with their periods-which may be due to a sudden drop in estrogen. The fibre in these migraine fighting foods helps by removing excess estrogen from the body along with waste, so it’s not recycled back into your bloodstream. These foods has low in fat. When you eat less fat, your body makes less estrogen!
Whole grains, beans, and leafy dark green vegetables are all high in magnesium, which research shows is often deficient in people who get migraines. Low levels of magnesium are thought to make the brain extra sensitive to migraine triggers.
The recommended daily amount for magnesium is 310 to 320 mg for women and 400 to 420 mg for men. Aim for 400 to 700 mg daily to help prevent migraines if you’re truly deficient. Roasted pumpkin seeds are among the richest sources of magnesium, with about 151 mg for every 30 grams. Brazil nuts (107 mg per 30 g) and almonds (78 mg per 30 g) are good sources too. You can also try halibut, which contains 91 mg in a 90-gram portion.
You can start using powdered or fresh ginger in your cooking or ordering dishes flavored with ginger when dining out. When a migraine strikes, mix few teaspoons of powdered ginger in a glass of water and drink it every few hours to help alleviate the pain.
Pain-safe foods never contribute to headaches or other painful conditions. These foods include:
- Cooked green vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, Swiss chard, or collards
Rice, especially brown rice
- Cooked orange vegetables, such as carrots or sweet potatoes
- Cooked or dried non-citrus fruits: cherries, cranberries, pears, prunes (but not citrus fruits, apples, bananas, peaches, or tomatoes)
- Cooked yellow vegetables, such as summer squash
- Water: Plain water or carbonated forms, such as Perrier, are fine. Other beverages—even herbal teas—can be triggers.
- Condiments: Modest amounts of salt, maple syrup, and vanilla extract are usually well-tolerated.