Goan vegetable curry recipe – lightly spiced vegetable curry with flavors of coconut and spices, from the land of goa.
We are going to make curry for 4-5 peoples, I am sure your guest must love it.
Ingredients – Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml
For the Masala paste:
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (lahsun)
- 5 to 6 kashmiri red chilies or byadagi or bedgi red chilies
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 8 to 10 whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch) – optional
- 1 teaspoon seedless tamarind (imli)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¾ cup water or as required for grinding
For the curry:
- 2.5 to 3 cups chopped mix vegetables (9 to 10 baby corn, 1 medium carrot, 9 to 10 button mushrooms, 9 to 10 french beans, 1 medium potato OR you can add your choice of veggies)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 to 2 green chilies, slit (hari mirch)
- 2.5 to 3 cups water or as required
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- salt as required
How to prepare recipe
grind all the ingredients mentioned under the list ‘for masala paste’ in a wet grinder to a smooth paste. there should be no small chunks or pieces of coconut in the paste. keep the paste aside.
rinse and chop the veggies into cubes or small bite sized pieces.
don’t chop into bigger pieces as they will take a lot of time to cook.
heat oil. add onions and saute till they become translucent.
add the chopped veggies and and saute them for 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame, stirring often.
add the coconut masala paste to the sauteed veggies and stir.
then add water, salt and slit green chilies. stir again.
cover and simmer the curry, till the veggies are cooked tender. stir the curry at intervals. can take about 20 to 30 minutes for all the veggies to cook on a low to medium flame. if you want, you can steam or cook the veggies before hand and then add them to the curry. if the water becomes less while cooking, then add some more water. the consistency of this curry is neither thick nor thin.
garnish with coriander leaves and serve goan vegetable curry with steamed rice.